Philly students: $10 for your perspective on gun violence
I am trying to live my life by pure action, and I woke up this morning needing to do something about gun violence.
Our local leaders have trotted out their regular rhetoric, but missing are new ideas, solutions, and energy to actually make a change.
I’m a journalist and developer, not a public policy expert. And even if I were… I get the sense the policy experts are a little bamboozled by the heroin, schools, and guns nexus I’ve mentioned previously.
We urgently need new ideas and perspectives.
Here’s the deal:
- Open to Philadelphia students grades 6-12
- Write about your experience with guns/gun violence. What should we do?
- You can be creative. Use images or videos if you want. Make something you’re proud of.
- Post what you made to PhillyGunViolence.com. You will need a Twitter account for this, your parents or teachers may be able to help with this.
- Send me a link to your post and I will send you $10!
Here’s an example of Philly Gun Violence blog posts here. Whatever you make is yours, all I ask is that we can share them with the Philly community. We care what you think – students are the future!
I’d like to open this up to the first 20 responses and if it’s successful maybe I can ask for some financial support. This is out of pocket at the moment.
Teachers, email me at email@example.com if you want more details. This is a weird little idea but if I can spend a couple hundred bucks helping you spark conversations, that’s money well spent.