Reading Viaduct site in 1859

Credit: Historical Society of Pennsylvania

The railroad yards of 1859 hadn’t yet creeped to Noble Street, although they would quite soon. The passenger station had been opened a few blocks away at Callowhill and 13th Street in 1839. It would be expanded & rebuilt over the next few generations, culminating ultimately with the Reading Terminal on Market Street.